Started: ICW Mile 283 Wrightsville Beach 34°12.42′N 077°47.94′W
Anchored: ICW Mile 384 Calabash Creek 33°52.41′N 078°34.19′W
Log: 58.6 nm. Time 8¾ hr. Engine 8¾ hr. Fuel 45.8 gal.
The Tuesday forecast for Charleston deteriorated to a point where we decided it wasn't something we want to brave. If it was going to be warm and blustery, that would be okay. But cold, big seas, and opposing winds was a trifecta we didn't want to play.
Small Craft Advisory through Thursday.
SE Winds 20-25 with gusts to 30. Seas 4 to 6 ft… Building to 6 to 8 ft.
Didn't sound like something we'd be able to face after motoring and sailing all night Monday night.
Today, however, was a great day for departing Wrightsville. We had a huge push from the current as we headed toward the Cape Fear River. Yes, that says 9.1 knots. Hull speed is 7.4. We were screaming along the ICW.
The Cape Fear River, however was flooding against us. The wind was with us, making it choppy and sloppy.
After a fuel filter change — and some requisite bleeding — Mr. Lehman was in tip-top condition all day. He earned a gold star ✪ for flawless service.
Today (Monday) we motored to Little River Inlet. There are seven boats anchored in a bend in the creek.
The night is beautiful, starry and so damned cold we're not going outside to look at it.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, instead of arriving in Charleston, we'll chug past Myrtle Beach to the Waccamaw river. Then Wednesday, we might do nothing while a storm rages. Thursday looks to be acceptable for transiting the Waccamaw and Winyah Bay. The South Santee River on Thursday night will be blustery, but manageable.
Friday, perhaps, we'll make it to Charleston. We wanted to be there for Thanksgiving. But. Weather didn't seem to permit that.
|Depart||Started: ICW Mile 283 Wrightsville Beach 34°12.42′N 077°47.94′W|
|Arrive||Anchored: ICW Mile 384 Calabash Creek 33°52.41′N 078°34.19′W|