To see as much of the world as we can,
Using the smallest carbon footprint we can,
Spending the least amount of money we can,
Making as many friends we can.

Team Red Cruising

Winter Weather Window

Since we're looking at a series of day trips from here to Jacksonville, we're not looking for big weather windows. We think we can deal with some sail-and-then-wait cycles.

We can't really dawdle too much longer. We had a great time with Venerable Great Aunt Diane. We need to move South.

Some of the anchorages look like they're just deep spots on the marsh. Not much protection in a real blow. But the bigger concern is the cold rather than wind and rain and generally icky weather.

Later this week it will drop down to 3°C: painfully cold. If we get fuel tomorrow afternoon, then we can leave any time starting Tuesday morning.

Wednesday, for example, looks like this.

Wed: NE winds 15 to 20 kt...diminishing to 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 4 ft. A chance of showers... Mainly in the afternoon

Not ideal; ideal would be flatter seas. But manageable to get us to the S. Edisto River (32°29.760'N 080°19.535'W) or Observatory Beach (32°27.469'N 080°30.739'W). These are about 35 nm away. Just six hours of sailing in 3'-4' seas.

From there, we think we go up river to Beaufort for Thursday and perhaps Friday. We'll have to see what the anchorages there are like. Weather beyond Wednesday is just a guess, but it should warm up and high pressure may build into the area giving us winds from the NE to help us down the coast.