To see as much of the world as we can,
Using the smallest carbon footprint we can,
Spending the least amount of money we can,
Making as many friends we can.

Team Red Cruising

Coinjock, NC

Started: Atlantic Yacht Basin 36°43.20′N 076°14.03′W

Docked: ICW Mile 50 Midway Marina 36°21.10′N 075°56.85′W

Log: 35.4 nm. Time 6½ hr. Engine Hours 6½.

Fuel: Took on 40 gallons.


Said goodbye to Baccalieu. They're going back to Toronto for a while and will resume their southbound voyage in a week or two.

We might be changing our plans for heading south.

We had an excellent motor down the Virginia Cut. In spite of the insane traffic aiming for the opening of the Centerville Turnpike bridge at 0830.

IMG_1992
IMG_1992 ""

The new PYI Packless Shaft Seal? ✔ Working.

The new propane solenoid? ✔ Working.

The new engine coolers? ✔ Working.

We have a nagging issue with a tiny leak on the secondary fuel filters. But I think that can only be "fixed" with a better copper washer to reduce weeping around the bleed screw.

The breeze was blowing in the 20's. The temperature this morning was 7°C so it was one right cold trip. The Currituck was choppy and could have been nasty if we'd been bashing into it. Since we were running with the winds all day, it was mostly just cold.

The sun was out, Red Ranger was working perfectly.

We're on our way south. Finally. We're out of Virginia.

We had the ICW Pasta at Crabbies in the Midway Marina. Delightful.

The Travel Plan

We started looking forward toward Manteo. We know that other Whitbys — Joie de Vivre and Hold Fast — have been there recently, so we're confident that we can fit in, too.

We have a list of stops that gets us to Beaufort by way of Manteo. See Looking Down the Road for that list of stops.

Now that we're getting down the brass tacks: what about the weather?

WX on Albemarle Sound (AMZ130)

Sat

N winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming SW in the afternoon. Waves 1 ft.

Sun

W winds 10 to 15 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft.

Mon

N winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming E around 5 kt in the afternoon. Waves 1 ft.

All good. We can cross to Manteo any time in the next three days.

How long can we stay? Or — more accurately — how long do we have to stay?

Tuesday says this: "W winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming N 15 to 20 kt. Waves 1 ft...building to 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers."

That would be something to avoid. After Manteo we have to navigate the Pamlico Sound and the Neuse River. But there's little point in trying to plan that far into the future.

Wednesday in AMZ135 we see this: "N winds 20 to 25 kt. Waves 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers."

That, too, would be something to avoid. So maybe we would have to spend Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in Manteo.

That's not the whole story, though.

The temperatures are going to drop to about 4°C (40°F) on Tuesday and Wednesday. High of 8°C (46°F.) A brutal level of cold. It will be just like living in a refrigerator.

That suggests that we don't wait.

Saturday: Manteo, no sightseeing. No going ashore. Maybe 35 or so miles in one day.

Sunday: Long Shoal River.

Monday: South River.

Tuesday: Beaufort.

Or

Saturday: Alligator River (S). A whopping 50 miles in one day.

Sunday: Belhaven/Pungo Creek.

Monday: South River.

Tuesday: Beaufort.

Either way, we wind up in Milehammock Bay on Wednesday.

Travel

Attribute Value
Depart Started: Atlantic Yacht Basin 36°43.20′N 076°14.03′W
Arrive Docked: ICW Mile 50 Midway Marina 36°21.10′N 075°56.85′W
Log 35.4 nm.
Time 6½ hr.
Hours