To see as much of the world as we can,
Using the smallest carbon footprint we can,
Spending the least amount of money we can,
Making as many friends we can.

Team Red Cruising

Initial Cleanup

So far? The work for the first 3 days look like this:

  • Fix the flooding
  • Start cleaning
  • Make some repairs
  • Re-stow and re-arrange


After she fell over, Red Ranger took on serious water. My thesis was the long piano hinge on the port-side lazarette was exposed to Hurrican Ian for hours.

The bilge pumps ran, but, since she was sideways, all the incoming water wasn't draining down to the bilge.

The dodger ripped away, taking the solar panels with it. Which means -- eventually -- the batteries would be drained by the pumps.

Just to make things worse, the "primary" deep pump has a screen that filled with mud. Once clogged, it will run until it overheats and shuts down. Someone turned off the breaker, saving wear on pump and battery, since it was never going to work until the screen was cleaned.

The "secondary" pump (with a higher float switch) seemed to keep up to the extent possible.

A bunch of stuff was laying on the floor in the water. A pair of scissors from the chart table, for example, are now covered with rust.

(We're missing one of our rubber ducks. We had two on the starboard side.)

The first job was to empty the port lazarette and pump out the water. The volume of water confirmed my hypothesis that the long piano hinge was the water ingress. The things from the very bottom (protected by dry-wall buckets) survived nicely. The things that were loose (dive flippers, mostly) were covered in slime. Stuff a little higher (dock lines, mostly) seemed clean and dry. The PFD's (at the very top) seemed untouched.

A lot of boat soap and water later, things seem to be Okay.


Water pooled on the port side of the aft cabin, between the cushions and the little bit of decorative wall that hides the hydraulic lines and exhaust hose.

Aft Cabin Ripped Apart
Aft Cabin Ripped Apart

A little 50-50 ammonia-and-water cleaned the stain. (Do this outdoors with a hose. It makes a mess.) A little teak oil recovered the original sheen and color. I'm a huge fan of teak oil.

Water also pooled in the cabinets in the aft head. They had to be emptied and cleaned. Some stuff was soaked. CA is meticulous about locking plastic boxes and heavy-duty zip-lock bags.

The things under the stove were in standing water until she was righted. CA took all of those containers down to the lounge to wash them carefully.


The board from the starboard side winch box was repaired by a local carpenter.

The hull was painted.

The dodger?


We're still waiting for canvas folks to make an estimate. Every boat for hundreds of miles around has had significant canvas damage. We're in a long list of supplicants.

We figure we'll be waiting for months to get this rebuilt.

I was worried that the mast-head instruments may have been destroyed. From the ground, it looks like they'll work.

A couple of hinges had failed. They're fancy Perko "offset" cabinet hinges. CA scored a half-dozen in eBay. I fixed a few things that weren't storm related.

The semi-flexible solar panels still work in spite of giant cracks in the plastic. I think it's best to replace them, once we get the dodger off the deck.

And this...

Broken Door Hook
Broken Door Hook

I'm guessing the hull flexed, ripping the casting apart. I'm not 100% sure the hull is actually back to her original shape. The remains of the hook seem to be -- still -- 1/4" shy of reaching the eye behind the door. Could be simply the difficulty in judging what shape it used to have.

Stowing and Re-arranging

We're not launching any time soon.

That means we're moving some things back to North Carolina. For example, the canned food we left on the boat needs to be eaten and replaced with new canned food.

(The hurricane has led us to make some changes in our standard operating procedures: we no longer leave consumables on the boat.)

We took Scout (the dinghy) with us to North Carolina to find the leak. After tweaking the valves, the leak stopped. Victory. Scout is back on board.

Over the past 10 years we've accumulated bar-ware and picnic supplies. We haven't had many epic parties that require glasses for a dozen or platters for a huge variety of hors d'oeuvres.

The last actual party had had back in Maryland involved passing around a box of sandwich squares and some beers from the cooler.

The fancy stainless martini shaker, for example, requires ice. Something we don't have. The boat life is gin-and-tonic. Limes are small. Single-serving tonic is easy to keep cold.

A lot of things go back to NC to be washed, and maybe used there. And -- less likely -- returned to Red Ranger.

The next big task

We -- carefully -- moved the dodger off the life-lines and away from the shrouds.

This meant threading a line through the dodger structure and over the boom so we could use the main halyard winch to lift it up without risking our lives near the life-lines. And without risking fingers and toes shifting it around.

Dodger in a better place
Dodger in a better place

The next step is to fill all the original mounting screw holes with thickened epoxy, Then get some screws and the drill ready. Once we wrestle the dodger into position, we'll need to fasten it down solidly. We'll probably walk through the procedure to make sure we have drill, screwdriver and screws all staged.

Once it's mounted, I think I'll rig some lines to the cleats on the toerail to make sure it stays down even in 100 mph winds.