Mr. Lehman's starter has been getting flakier and flakier. We've put up with it for a few years now.
You push the starter button and "Click". Nothing else. Just "Click".
Last time we went anywhere (see "Got off the Dock") there was a sequence of five pushes to get the engine started.
This is not good. And not getting any better.
The starter weighs something like 30 pounds. It's right awkward to get out without dropping it behind the engine somewhere.
Scott from AR Diesel pulled it about two weeks ago, leaving us with this:
That's the hole through the engine block into the transmission housing. You can see the flywheel teeth with which the starter engages. Big Hole In Engine.
Today he returned with the rebuilt starter and the stack of solenoids.
The bulk of the image is the starter. Painted Lehman red.
You can glimpse the ground wire on the lower left.
To the right you can see some nuts and bolts. That's the wiring for the primary solenoid on the starter.
Top, and right of center, is the secondary solenoid that's connected to the starter button. This solenoid lets full power flow to the second solenoid which pushes the gear into the transmission and sets the motor to spinning.
It worked great while Scott was here. I expect it to work great for the next 10 to 20 years.
I've replaced the anti-siphon valve that dripped exhaust water onto it. With no rust and new windings, I'm looking forward to years of good behavior.