Winds out of the north east (040) at 10 kn. We beat to weather as well as we could making 5-6 kn under single-reefed main, yankee and staysail. A course of 100 magnetic took us 12nm across the bay to where we could see the Eastern Shore. Okay, from this distance, it doesn't look like much, but it was a great sail.
Then the wind died. After that it was an okay motor.
We had just replaced the heat exchanger zincs. An annual ritual of marine engine maintenance.
Also, I finally closed off an item that's been on my to-do list since we installed a Manifold of Bilge Pumps. How much does the pump run?
We've noticed that our forward water tank isn't really working well. Where does that water go?
Once we determined that the water tank leaked, we elected to Tear the Lid Off. Really. We're experimenting with the silicone adhesive they use to build aquariums. So far, it doesn't seem to leak as much.
The water tank leak dribbles down through the bilge. Our hint that something was wrong was the cycling of the bilge pump. The bilge also collects water from the shower—an epically bad idea. The old shaft seal also dripped into the bilge (the new PYI shaft seal doesn't). Normally—outside showering—the bilge should stay relatively dry. The pump shouldn't run at all.
To get a grip on the cycling of the bilge pump, I finally installed a counter. Now, we'll know.
Also, we've started to replace old lighting with newer LED-based lighting to reduce energy consumption. Replacing our 15mm single and double-contact bayonet base incandescent bulbs. Also, we'll install accurate digital volt and amp meters.