CA asked if we had closed the dorade vents.
We closed up Red Ranger back in June. It's hard to recall exactly what we did.
I reminded CA that there's a "close up the boat after haulout" checklist. What did that say?
The answer: Remove dorade wind-scoops and screw in the metal covers.
Relief. We had planned (and executed) correctly.
And now, we have pictures.
Scott (of Joie de Vivre) and Terry (of Island Time) are down in Port Charlotte to sort out the problems with their boats. We know bunches of other people down there, but they are residents, and have houses to fix and families to sort out. Some have to figure out how to get back to work and school. Scott and Terry are from the far north (Ohio, Michigan), retired, and didn't have the kinds of disruptions others had.
Scott sent a pile of pictures.
Here's the overview.
The port-side shrouds are laying against the neighboring boat. They can take a fair amount of strain. But. We'll need to see if there's any bend or kink in the wire rope or mainmast.
Here's an interesting detail.
What can we learn?
- Things on Deck
- Solar Panels
The dodger was torn off. You can see the port-side steel support on the bottom of the image. It's been pulled clean out of the rest of the structure.
On the starboard side, the steel support is totally gone; the mounting bracket's screws pulled out of the fibreglass.
Which means, parts of it may be salvagable.
The dodger windows are utterly destroyed. I'm guessing there are some pieces of acrylic that blew all over central florida before coming to rest as trash.
We can -- perhaps -- grind the old (cracked and leaking) awning track off the dodger and find someone who can make new windows for this structure that would have a proper awning rope slides into awning track. I'd like to continue to use an awning track for the windows because it seems like a good, weatherly design.
(Dan, who made the originals, used a heat process to weld the acrylic panels into the fabric covers so there was no stitching to leak.)
You can see two pieces of reddish firehose we use as chafe guards. Still in the cockpit. Another picture shows the mop I use for swabbing the decks is (also) still in the cockpit.
About in the center of the image, you can see a small, circular, white piece of rug by the wooden hatch cover. That rug was right near the hatch, we use it to keep the hatchboard from rattling. It was not blown all to hell!
Where the rug is lying, there used to be a wooden box covering the slider. It's gone. Likely, it blew somewhere in the yard. We can hope it winds up in a massive "lost found" pile. If we can't find it, it's easy to find someone to make another.
Or maybe, I'll buy some marine-grade plywood and try to make one myself. It's four pieces of wood, each with a uniquely difficult to describe shape.
There's a rectangle of dirt on the foredeck near the bottom of the picture. That's where the semi-flexible solar panel sat. It was lashed to the rail. In another picture I can see that it's still lashed to the rail -- but it flipped over and is down in the scuppers. The wires may still be connected.
I can see at least one solar panel ground wire was pulled out of its connector.
We are hopeful this might not have been totally devastating.
The green and red lines in the picture are reefing lines that were blown off the boom. That's not damage, that's just poor seamanship on my part. In the future, I need to lash those up more permanently.
The windows needed to be removed from the dodger.
The box over the slider needs to be screwed down. (It was, originally. I did some work on it and never reattached it.)