To see as much of the world as we can,
Using the smallest carbon footprint we can,
Spending the least amount of money we can,
Making as many friends we can.

Team Red Cruising

Stowage and Destinations

We're heading South to visit — if we can — a bunch of birding sites, looking for bird sightings.

The overall, vague outline is to get to St. Mary's, GA during the weather window on Tuesday. (We'd like to go Monday, but we won't quite be ready; stay tuned for complications.) The real destination is Cumberland Island and the National Seashore.

From St. Mary's, its a day sail to Jacksonville. Then another day sail to St. Augustine. We'd like to hang on a mooring for a few days there.

So far, so good. A 27-hour overnighter to get out of Charleston. Then some day sails.

F42548B9-476A-4D4F-8AAB-C174BA64306B 1 105 c
F42548B9-476A-4D4F-8AAB-C174BA64306B 1 105 c

The next big leg is St. Augustine to Key Biscayne. 270-300 nm 45-50 h.

It should be like our Beaufort to Charleston leg. It's two days of alternating 4 hr watches. If I find a mild weather window, it will be calm motor-sailing. We hope.

For this, CA, has provisioned well. She's bought enough food that we shouldn't have to reprovision too often over the next few months.

From Key Biscayne, it's a few more day-long jumps to Key West.

  1. Rodriguez Key

  2. Matecumbe Key (Islamorada)

  3. Fanny Keys

  4. Key West

We're about a month away from Key West. Yes. It only adds up to 10 days, but, we need a rest day after each passage, so that's 20 days. And then there's waiting for weather.

403B67A5-8FA6-45B1-A880-61E26BD461FD 1 105 c
403B67A5-8FA6-45B1-A880-61E26BD461FD 1 105 c

Call it early March when we're ready for the next step. Do we have enough food?

CA thinks so. CA is mistress of spreadsheets and has a ton of data.

Destination: Dry Tortugas

The real goal? The Dry Tortugas. These are about 60 nm west of Key West. There's no provisioning here, so we need to make sure we have everything we might possibly need.

It's a 10-hour sail, possible in a single day. By mid-march, we have 12 hours of daylight, so, it's possible. Otherwise, I've found some anchorages west of Key West that we can scoot into before making the long jump into the gulf.