To see as much of the world as we can,
Using the smallest carbon footprint we can,
Spending the least amount of money we can,
Making as many friends we can.

Team Red Cruising

Southbound Ph. III, day 10, Waiting

Waiting for weather in New Smyrna Beach. Weather is pleasant. Anchor is holding.

Safe Anchor Screen Shot
Safe Anchor Screen Shot

This is the SafeAnchor app on the iPhone. It shows about 60' of movement between where I marked the anchor and where we are. In the SW corner of the circle, there's a bunch of skating around.

Because of the river currents and winds, I don't really have a rock-solid, "anchor is here" position.

What I need to do is wait for slack tide, and go forward to reset the marker.

What I actually do is push the anchor reset whenever we take the dinghy out and return. So it's at some random location based on where we happened to be swinging at the time.

We have about 50′ of chain going in two directions, so the most we could possibly move is 100′. The only way to go that far is to pull up an anchor, though, so the guard ring is 82′.

The 68 ft on the display is the extreme swing between rising tide pulling us one way and falling tide pulling us the other.

We're watching the weather and seeing 3-5′ seas offshore through at least Monday the 21st. Farmer's market on Saturday. So, we're staying at least until then. There's a little calming on Sun20, but not much.


We like the ability to shift our plans.

We've been talking during these long overnight passages about going back north in the spring.

CA booked us a hurricane haul-out location in Port Charlotte, Florida. We will not be returning to Charleston for hurricane season.